- About IPrA
- Winterthur 2021
- Hong Kong 2019
- International Pragmatics Conferences
- Members only
|East Asian Pragmatics|
“East Asian Pragmatics: History and Development”
The linguistic associations in the East Asian region will organize a joint pre-conference session themed “East Asian Pragmatics: History and Development” on Sunday 9th June 2019.
Background & Significance of the Session:
There has been no formal inter-association exchange of information about the history and development of pragmatic research in the Asian region, although occasional exchanges of delegates have taken place. While quite a few East Asian pragmaticians have published English-language journal articles or books, the bulk of pragmatic research output from the region has been published in local languages, making it less accessible to speakers of other languages worldwide. Thus, deeper and fuller sharing of pragmatic research in the region, including research trends, focuses, and resources, is needed.
Aims of the Session:
1) To introduce the achievements of pragmatic research in the Asian region in relation to the rest of the world and to facilitate sharing and idea exchanges of pragmatic research among academics and colleagues within and beyond the Asian region;
2) To consolidate and further develop links and dialogues among researchers in different parts of Asia as well as with colleagues from the rest of the world, leading to a deepening of collaboration.
Include but are not limited to researchers from the following pragmatics associations in East Asia:
- China Pragmatics Association
- Pragmatics Society of Japan
- Discourse and Cognitive Linguistics Society, Korea
- Linguistics Society of Taiwan
- The Linguistic Society of Hong Kong
Session Time & Duration (Venue to be announced later):