- Anyone interested in the International Pragmatics Association becomes an active member, entitled to all membership benefits, upon payment of membership fees. Membership is always for the calendar year (1 January to 31 December) in which the application and payment are made. For registering as a member, click 'Register' in the upper menu bar of this site.
- A significant number of complimentary non-paying members, enjoying full membership benefits, are admitted from countries with severe currency restrictions. They are sponsored with donations from other members (see 'Donate'). Membership in this category can only be applied for by contacting IPrA directly.
- a subscription to Pragmatics: Quarterly Publication of the International Pragmatics Association (600 pp. per year, issues due in March, June, September, December); all members have access to the online version; paper copies can be obtained at extra expense
- the right to vote on all issues pertaining to the life of the Association, as stipulated in the IPrA Constitution
- the right to submit abstracts for participation in the International Pragmatics Conferences and, upon acceptance of the abstract, the right to present the accepted paper during the conference
Important note: membership is valid only for the calendar year during which you become a member (or renew your membership), even if this is already late in the year; for that year you will always get access to the publications you are entitled to, though there may be a significant delay for paper copies (even into the next year) if your application is very late (e.g. if you wait until the time of abstract submission for a conference).
Other membership benefits:
- Special offer on the online versions of the IPrA Handbook of Pragmatics and the Bibliography of Pragmatics
- discount on the Journal of Pragmatics, Elsevier (for more information visit: www.elsevier.com/locate/pragma or contact JournalCustomerServiceemail@example.com or JournalsCustomerServiceEMEA@elsevier.com
- 30 % discount on any volume from the series Pragmatics & Beyond New Series, Studies in Language and Social Interaction, Human Cognitive Processing, Discourse Approaches to Politics, Society and Culture, Dialogue Studies and Studies in Narrative by John Benjamins (Philadelphia/Amsterdam), and a low price for individual subscriptions (including access to the online editions) to their journals Pragmatics and Society, Pragmatics & Cognition, Journal of Historical Pragmatics, Journal of Language and Politics, Narrative Inquiry, Studies in Chinese Language & Discourse, Language & Dialogue, Spanish in Context, Topics in Humor Research, and Gesture, as well as to the Handbook of Pragmatics (full information from www.benjamins.com, firstname.lastname@example.org). Note the SPECIAL OFFER on personal subscriptions to the Handbook of Pragmatics online and Bibliography of Pragmatics online.
- various discounts on personal subscriptions to the Cambridge University Press journals Annual Review of Applied Linguistics, Applied Psycholinguistics, Journal of Child Language, Language in Society, Language Variation and Change, Studies in Second Language Acquisition (for information on these journals: http://www.cup.org/)
- a discount on personal subscriptions to The International Journal of Bilingualism, Kingston Press (contact Kingstonpress@compuserve.com)
- a discount on personal subscriptions to the Journal of Sociolinguistics, Blackwell (details from email@example.com)
- a discount on personal subscriptions to the De Gruyter Mouton journals Journal of Politeness Research , Intercultural Pragmatics and TEXT & TALK (formerly TEXT) (Contact: http://www.degruyter.com/dg/page/127/general-inquiries )
- 25% discount on personal subscriptions to the Routledge journal Critical Discourse Studies (full information at http://www.tandfonline.com/action/pricing?journalCode=rcds20 and from Customer Services at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 25% discount on personal subscriptions to the Equinox journal East Asian Pragmatics (full information at http://www.equinoxpub.com/journals/index.php/EAP/index; contact Subscription Customer Services Manager Yvonne Nazareth at email@example.com)
- 25% discount from Brill on available titles from the series Studies in Pragmatics (www.brill.com/sip , please quote discount code 70127) and Current Research in the Pragmatics/Semantics Interface (www.brill.com/crispi , please quote discount code 70128)
- 25% discount on the Brill journal International Review of Pragmatics (www.brill.com/irp; personal subscription for 2016, two issues, for Euro 51, please quote discount code 70283)
- 25% discount on all titles from Equinox that can be found at https://www.equinoxpub.com/home/; the discount code to be entered during the ordering process is LINGUISTICS
To make use of the above discounts, present proof of membership with your order, which has to be placed directly with the publishers.